Juggling different subjects, managing workload and a rapid change of environment – everything contributes to being stressed out as a student. Family expectations, an active social life, deadlines, projects, study and over-commitment make things worse. However, it is possible to handle the stressed out conditions with precise stress management counseling.
Stress can take a heavy toll on an individual, regardless of his occupation. He could be a student or a young professional. In the current world, students are highly stressed out because of the competition which prevails around them. From a kindergarten kid to a college student, anyone can be stressed out. Being stressed out can be defined as the response of your body to a situation which is out of your control. Your body responds to changes in its environment. Good as well as bad conditions can cause drastic changes. Nonetheless, it is seen that in most scenarios stress always has an adverse effect on an individual. It can affect a student’s performance, health, happiness, personal growth as well as relationships.
Stress can be stimulating and motivating. Likewise, excess stress can interfere with mental and physical functions of the body. Stress levels build with time and they can be controlled with effective management techniques. Counselors are trained to help students manage and cope with day to day stress effectively. Below are some guidelines that will help when you feel stressed out.
Common Reasons for Stress in College Students
To discover effective techniques for stress management, it is important to identify stressors first. Students should be able to determine the factors that contribute to stress. There are various factors that make students stressed out, some of which can be controlled, while others cannot.
Common Stressors for College Students are:
* Academic stress due to increased workload and insufficient time. New responsibilities, challenging lectures, difficult examinations, deadlines and low grades can cause an immense amount of stress.
* Social stress is caused by social networking, less parental support, separation from family and home and living with new friends and the subsequent demanding social life.
* Other stressors include the daily hassles of life, such as community problems, financial crises, lack of sleep, studying long hours, living independently, peer pressure, bullying, not enough good friends, a mismatch between student and tutor and improper diet.
To manage stress and keep it under control, there are a few things that students can do.
- Counseling: Stress management counseling for students is a very effective tool. Counseling involves conversing about innumerable issues, such as stress triggers and coping techniques. Students are often encouraged to discuss how they feel and discover the best possible course of action. Talking also helps in discovering new ways to handle stress.
- Medication: There are some medications that are helpful for stressed out students. If you have been struggling to fall asleep due to stress, tranquilizers will help you. Some students are also given anti-depressants in a case of depression or anxiousness.
- Managing Stress: There are some stress management techniques that help students to manage stress. It also helps them to control their triggers and calm down. Many students play games, sports and workout as their key to release stress. Likewise, some students indulge in art, mediation, yoga and music to beat stress and manage their lives.
- Support Groups: There are several stress management support groups that help students to deal with their stress. In fact, being social and opening up is a good way to deal with stress. Online support groups are very effective in managing stressors in students. These are the places where you can meet likeminded people and share your views and ideas.
How Stressed out Students Can Cope With Their Situation:
There are a few methods which one can adopt to deal with stress.
- Wisely manage your time. You can do this by setting up a proper study schedule and dividing your studies into short chunks.
- Manage a habit of taking notes which is organized and accurate. Know when your assignments are due in and complete your assignments on time.
- Maintaining a good study environment is quite helpful when stressed out. There are various study habits which students follow. Some students can only concentrate when there is complete silence and peace around them while some enjoy studying with quiet music in the background. Some can read well in the early mornings while some prefer to study late at nights. Figure out what your study habits are and follow them.
- The student will have to work out the best learning method for himself/herself. Some prefer visual learning while others are auditory learners.
- Learn yoga. Meditation provides peace of mind and will drive away negative energy.
- Spend your money wisely and cleverly.
- Take care of your body and soul. Get sufficient sleep. Have seven hours of sleep a day. It is ideal for
the effective functioning of body and mind.
By taking care of small things in your day-to-day activities, you can easily handle your life, manage expenses and keep stress at bay. By sharing this article on social media, you can help others who may suffer from stress.
- The Roles and Responsibilities of a Project Manager - December 23, 2020
- Factors Influencing Students Career Choice and Major - November 13, 2020
- LaowaiCareer Events — CIFTIS 2020 - October 18, 2020