Finally, after the 5-8 hour flight, the plane has landed in China. Of course, you are extremely excited. You have a new job or internship in China in an office. But what to do about lunch? Don’t worry! There are many affordable lunch options in China.
If you are looking for healthy lunch office ideas, Chinese lunch ideas office take-outs, good on the go lunches and office lunch menu tips, you are at the right place. This article contains tips on where to eat your lunch while in China, the most popular dishes and the best lunch boxes office deliveries.
The best lunch boxes office take-outs in China
The good thing about Chinese food is that it’s friendly to everyone – whether you’re on a diet or not. Of course, not all meals will be super-healthy for you but at least give them a try. Here are some irresistible office lunch menu samples that you should try out:
- Airfried Cajun Salmon – You’ll definitely love the salmon. Just rub it with Cajun seasoning and stir-fry for about 7 minutes. Add some veggies to fill you up.
- Grilled cauliflower steaks – Start grilling the night before so that the cauliflower gets enough time in the oven to cook. Slice the cauliflower down the middle and slice again to get about 2-inch steaks. Serve this with onions, peas, bacon, and blanched snow peas.
- Tofu Pasta – Don’t expect the savory feel of pasta. Instead, they are light and slightly chewy, but they will fill you up real fast. You can have them with Bolognese (minced meat in tomato sauce), chicken breast, asparagus, and mushrooms.
- Omelet with anything – Just makes a heart-shaped omelet with two eggs and anything you want. You may stuff it with mushrooms, cheese, and leafy greens.
- Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with anything – This is a heavy meal hence you should prepare it as a heavy breakfast. You may stuff it with delicacies such as cheese, okra, and bacon.
Other than lunch boxes, what else should you eat in China?
Most Chinese people prefer going to their favorite restaurant during lunch breaks. Some of these restaurants try to tweak Chinese office lunch menus include Western, or Wester influenced dishes. But what if you want to enjoy the real Chinese dish? Here are some signs of original or genuine Chinese food:
- Even though broccoli is often used in Chinese-American menus, it’s rarely used in authentic Chinese food.
- American restaurants will usually leave out items such as duck blood and pig ears on lunch and breakfast office menus.
Real Chinese food is healthier than American-Chinese food in terms of ingredients. For instance, authentic Chinese meals rely more on vegetables, soybeans, cooked wheat noodles, tofu, and a variety of spices. On the other hand, American-Chinese food tends to favor pork, beef and chicken over veggies and tofu.
Some popular Chinese meals that you must eat
Ma Po Tofu
This is one of the most popular dishes in Chuan Cuisine. It dates back more than 100 years. Ma means a hot and spicy taste which is made from pepper powder. Milky tofu is usually mixed with chopped green onions and brownish red ground beef.
Sweet and Sour Pork
It has a bright orange-red color and a delicious sweet-sour taste. Over the years, there have been developments in the dish and today the pork can be replaced with beef or chicken.
Since the Tang Dynasty, the Chinese people have been eating wontons on the winter solstice. Wontons come in a triangle shape and are usually boiled and served in soup.
Gong Bao Chicken
This is a well-known Sichuan style dish to both the Chinese and Westerners. The main ingredients of this meal are dried chili, fried peanuts, and diced chicken.
This meal is more than 1800 years old. It’s a traditional food which is popular in North China. Dumplings consist of minced meat and chopped vegetables wrapped in a dough skin.
Popular places to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in China
If you are looking for the best places in China for food for foreigners, you should pay a visit to the following cities. In addition, you will get to enjoy authentic Chinese dishes on some of the Chinese restaurants.
Hong Kong is located in South East China and is famous for: Hong Kong cuisine, Cantonese cuisine and Foreign Cuisine. Of the three culinary styles, Cantonese food is the sweetest and can be considered as good on the go food for lunch.
Located in Northeast China, Beijing offers three unique culinary styles; Mongolian Cuisine, Jing Cuisine, and Northeast Cuisine. If you want to taste the most delicious roast duck in the world, go to Quanjude Restaurant.
Located in Central China, Chengdu is the mother of Chuan cuisine. Chuan food might be too hot for foreigners hence it will take a lot of courage to finish one. Chengdu meals and cost of living are cheaper than those in Beijing and Hong Kong.
This city offers the Min (Fujian) cuisine. Xiamen is located in Southeast China, Fujian Province. If you want to taste the best seafood and real sweet and sour Chinese dishes, this is the place to be.
Other places to explore include; Turpan, Guangzhou, Macau, and Xi’an.
What about office luncheon ideas in China?
At times, your workmates or bosses might feel too lazy to go out for lunch. Therefore, they will give you the task of ordering Chinese food for office meals. The easiest route to take is to order egg rolls, crab wontons, and sweet and sour chicken but this is way too old. Here are some office luncheon ideas to try:
- Dan Dan Mian – a street noodle dish from the Sichuan province in China.
- Dim Sum – It means ‘drink tea’ but comes with dumplings and bite-sized treats.
- Xiao Long Bao – commonly known as soup dumplings and the name says it all.
Authentic Chinese dishes are more nutritious than their tweaked counterparts. Therefore, know what you really want for your office lunch menu. Be sure to try everything, you may be surprised by what you like!
- How and Where to Make Money Teaching Online - February 20, 2020
- Getting a Translator Job in China: 9 Proven Tactics (That Really Works!) - January 19, 2020
- How Can A Clinical Research Degree Help Land You A Job in China - November 19, 2019