HTML5 interview questions for any web developer
In a Web Design interview, you are going to be tested on a broad range of subjects and languages such as HTML, PHP, CSS, and XML. Other fields commonly tested include Search Engine Optimization (SEO) techniques and general responsive web design. There is a handful of HTML5 interview questions you should know.
If you have an HTML5 interview that is scheduled a few days from now, you will likely be nervous and have doubts about the adequacy of your knowledge. To walk away from the interview room with a smile on your face and a spring in your step, you need to know that the key to any interview is preparation.
Companies will more likely hire you if they see that you are knowledgeable and skilled enough to be part of their growing team. HTML and Web Development interviews serve as a screening test to find the candidates who are worthy of their vacant position.
This article provides a top list HTML5 interview questions commonly asked by recruiters, to ensure you that you are successful in your interview.
- To embed HTML document on another, which tag do we use?
- HTML is a markup language. Explain this.
- Define a HTML tag. Do all HTML tags come in pairs? Justify your answer.
- Is it possible to insert comments in HTML files? If yes, explain how to do it.
- What is a whitespace? Explain the relevance of collapsing the whitespace.
- Describe an image map, and how it is used.
- You have the task to design a web page. Explain how you insert the copyright symbol when doing your design.
- At some point in your web design career, you might have noted that all characters might not display correctly in a certain browser. What causes this and how can you fix it?
- Define XML, HTML, XHTML and SGML. What is their relationship?
- Give several types of elements that are used in HTML5.
- Explain how the page structure of an HTML5 document is different from that of previous HTML4 or HTML. Give some details of HTML5 elements that are used to design a page structure.
- If you fail to include the <DOCTYPE HTML!>, how will your HTML5 work?
- Describe a data list in HTML5. What is it used to achieve? Also, write a shortcode to implement a simple data list in the same language.
- Currently, there are about ten new form elements that have been introduced in HTML5. Name them and explain them to us.
- In HTML5, what is an output element? Write a short code to implement the same.
- Show us an example of Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) using HTML5. Use a simple shortcode for a line, polygon or star shape.
- The CSS box model surrounds an HTML element and is rectangular in shape. It defines padding, margins, and the border. Explain it to us in details.
- In HTML5, what is <canvas>? Explain how to get access to the <canvas> area and how to draw the graphics. Differentiate SVG and <canvas>, do they work independently or dependently?
- Explain selectors in CSS and its use.
- What is the importance of column layout in CSS? How do we implement one? Explain how we can apply a style to the text by using various attributes during out implementation.
- In the application cache, define what a fallback is.
- What is web SQL? Is it a part of the HTML5 specification? Explain how we use it.
- What is the lifetime of the local storage? Using a shortcode, show how we remove or add data to the local storage.
- What do you think is the coolest thing you have coded in your lifetime. Are there projects you are currently working on regarding the same?
- Reducing image size is a way or reducing the page load time. Other than this, give three other ways of ensuring minimal page load time and how they are done.
- When you consider HTML and HTML5, there are various changes and modifications to the language. What elements have disappeared?
- Explain the difference that exists between HTML5 interaction as in Twitter or Bootstrap and Sencha?
- Explain the difference between the menu and directory lists as well as the unordered lists in HTML?
- Tell us something new or interesting you have recently learned about web design technologies. It could be in any other language.
- What is your ideal development environment?
- We need you to demonstrate some industry knowledge relevant to this job and different tasks expected to be done by you. Can you let us know your favorite editor, operating system, browser, plug-ins, and other development tools?
- Tell us how you got into coding, programming and web development?
- What are some of the biggest challenges you have faced up to date.
- As a web developer, what skills do you think will make us hire you?
Article continues after jobs recommendation
These are a few HTML5 interview questions to familiarize yourself with before your interview. Respond to them in a professional manner and you can be sure that you will get the job. Avoid giving critiques and be sincere with yourself when answering them.